I present the third annual "New Years Eve buffet table quiz round"!
This year, our fancy dress party theme was "Heroes and Villains". We had a quiz, and the first round was to spot as many villains as possible hidden within the buffet table. See how you do.
NB I think it's completely acceptable to offer guests a buffet of Baby Bels, chewing gum and candy cigarettes. This is what passes for hors d'oeuvre around these parts. We are very sophisticated. And, I might add, someone did eat the orange/cheesestring combo. Furthermore I saw at least two children (aged between 9 and 13) "smoking" the cigarettes the wrong way round. Can't work out if this is excellent or terrible parenting.
One point if you name the character depicted. Half a point if you can't name them, but know what they're from. Answers below.
1. Chicken drumsticks in a "Los Pollos Hermanos" box = Gus Fring (Breaking Bad)
2. Sausages = Mr Punch
3. Dips = Daleks (Dr Who)
4. Crisps inside an angry looking TV set = Evil Edna (Willo The Wisp)
5. A tube of Pringles = Kim Jong Un
6. An orange, with cheese string hair = Donald J. Trump
7. Pineapple and cheese hedgehog hair = Side Show Bob (The Simpsons)
8. Baby Bels = Hal (2001 A Space Odyssey)
9. Cheeseboard = Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde...or as close to their names as you can manage! (the ghosts from Pacman).
10. A house full of popcorn that has squashed a witch = Wicked Witch of the East (not West! I want the squashed witch!) from the Wizard fo Oz
11. Scary red balloon cake pops = Pennywise, from It
12. A romantic meal of tuna bake, followed by apple pie and home-made custard ("of course") ends with blood on the kitchen tiles = Rob Titchener (The Archers). So shocked that none of my friends or family got this one.
13. Bubblegum = Balthazar Bratt (Despicable Me 3)
14. Chocolate coins = Scrooge McDuck (Duck Tails)
15. Chocolates with popping candy = Darth Vader
16. Candy Cigarettes = Nick O'Teen (1980s Superman baddie)
17. Mini Donuts (wedding rings?) in a hat = Papa Lazaru (League of Gentlemen). YOU'RE MY WIFE NOW, DAVE.
18. Lollipops! Lots of lovely lollipops! = Kiddy Catcher (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang)
19. Matchmakers = Slenderman (Creepy Pasta) ....one for the under 40s!
20. Jelly oozing through the doors of the Colonial Cinema = The Blob
21. Oreo fudge throne with cocktail stick swords = Joffrey (Game of Thrones)
22. Gingerbread hotel with maze = The Overlook Hotel (the Shining). The hotel is sentient, and evil, so it's the Overlook that I want not Jack Torrence!
23. Tube of smarties = Isombard King Kong Brunel (Dangermouse)
24. Glass of orange juice = O.J. Simpson
25. Napkins = Cal Hockley (Titanic)
26. Plates, disguised as a work by acclaimed 1980s Australian artist, Helen Daniels = Mrs Mangel (Neighbours)